There are many possible variations of beans with vegetables. For example, you can substitute lentils for beans. Bhavana Patil, from Harihar, a small town in Karnataka, India, publishes her list of healthy lentil and bean recipes on her blog, Indian Veggie Delight.
My healthy vegan friend Francis gave me this recipe for beans with vegetables. The ingredients could include red beans, white beans, lentils, fava beans, or adzuki beans, plus the vegetables. Add salt while you cook the beans. You can vary the vegetables too, but the basic recipe includes onion and a tomato. After you turn the heat off, you add the herbs and spices, such as parsley, coriander, and garlic.
Adzuki beans are the only beans that are beneficial for both blood types A and O, according to Dr. D’Adamo and blood type eating. Fava beans are neutral for blood type O, though beneficial for blood type A. Unlike blood type A, blood type O does not tend to digest other beans well. Myself, I never eat beans, and I do not miss them. They tend to cause excess gas for me.
- Pressure cooker
- 200 grams adzuki or other beans
- 600 milliliters water
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 red paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon stevia leaf
- Soak beans in water overnight and empty water before cooking.
- Boil water in another pot.
- Add the pinch of salt.
- Add beans.
- Chop onion and add to water.
- Chop tomato and add to water.
- Remove seeds from paprika, chop, and add to the water.
- Add the stevia to the water
- Put top on pressure cooker and cook for twenty minutes.
- Chop garlic.
- Turn off heat, add garlic and spices, and serve.