Fish tartar – ceviche (O)
This raw fish recipe is quick, requires no water, and is easy to prepare and carry while traveling. Along the coast of Spanish-speaking Latin America, it is known to fishermen as ceviche. You can also make it with canned sardines. Beware of fish contaminated with parasites or heavy metals. The lemon (or lime) juice and the garlic (or cayenne) are intended to disinfect the fish, but they have their limits. You can also substitute cooked fish for the raw fish.
- 100 grams raw de-boned fish (or canned sardines)
- 1 onion
- 1 lemon (or lime)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch coriander (cilantro) or 1 fresh sprig coriander
- 1 clove garlic (or pinch of cayenne)
- Catch fish (or buy good-quality canned sardines).
- Put fish in mixing bowl.
- Slice lemon into quarters and squeeze quarters into the bowl.
- Wait fifteen to twenty minutes for the fish to marinate in the bowl.
- Chop onion into small pieces, the smaller the better, and add to the bowl.
- Add coriander or chop sprig into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Chop garlic clove into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix ingredients in the bowl until they have the consistency of paste.